Saturday, November 8, 2008

WE'RE IN GUANGZHOU

We were up bright and early to leave for the airport. It's been a long day of traveling, even though our flight was just over an hour. Long waits at both airports really threw off any type of schedule we were able to develop over the last week. But, we're here in Guangzhou ... the last leg of our trip!

At the Nanchang airport ...


Our local guide, Mary, spoke some very kind words to us as we rode the bus to the airport. I was fighting back tears as she talked about how we were giving "their" babies hope and a good future. I didn't expect to be so emotional to leave this area, but I was.

But, once we hit the airport, we turned into our travel mode and prepared to take Malia for her first plane ride. We had to ride a shuttle bus a short distance to our airplane ...


Here we are boarding the airplane ...




Here's Malia on her first airplane!


Here she is taking one last look at her birthplace ...


Malia did fairly well on the plane considering it took place during an eating time. We had quite a mess on the plane as we prepared cereal and formula. We sat next to a kind Chinaman who seemed very considerate and attentive to Malia and our family.

Malia appears to be teething. She had a fever last night and today, has a runny nose, is chewing on things and is cranky off and on (I guess I did jinx myself!). So dealing with that on a plane isn't necessarily fun. But like I said, she did fairly well. Here she is just about to get off the plane ...


And here we are boarding the bus in Guangzhou to take us to our hotel - the China Hotel.


Let me just say, we're very impressed by our rooms!!! We're livin' in style this week!


This afternoon I took Malia to get her visa picture taken in our guides' hotel room. That was about all we did adoption-related today (besides travel). Then our group walked to a local grocery store so we could load up on drinks and snacks.


Since some of you commented on seeing Spencer and Malia, here's another picture to enjoy.


Notice Malia is chewing on her Tylonal bottle. Poor girl!

7 comments:

Brad, Carmen, Braylen and Alea Fleck said...

Yeah, I love getting my Malia fix in the mornings and I'm first to comment!! Your hotel looks AWESOME! Poor Malia with teathing...it's no fun, sweetie. Spencer, you make a good lookin big brother!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so overwhelmed with joy for you all. She is blessed with you, you are blessed with her. It is all so amazingly beautiful. I love checking this blog everyday and feel that a little part of me is with you, as my thoughts and prayers have traveled, too. We may have had little face to face contact over the years, but you have always and will always be in my heart, you're my sister R and now I guess I'm Auntie B to beautiful Malia. Hadn't thought of that one. It is so amazing to see your children together, hugging each other, loving each other. How special for you all.
I love you!
Kristin

Unknown said...

I have hesitated to make posts, tears rolling down my face each morning. Rick, Jen, Spencer.... the Lord has blessed each of you with little Malia and certainly all of us who continue to be addicted to your story. We are so excited for this growth in your family and the joys you will continue to experience. A big congratulations to all of you.

Nancy Halderman

Winter said...

I started to cry seeing the picture of Malia looking at her birthplace...very moving. I love the picture of Spencer and Malia...beautiful children!! Good luck with the teething do you have any ora-gel? that always worked for my kids.

Anonymous said...

Malia seems to be excited to ride a plane. My mom said that when we went to Florida a while back ago, Evan was one or two years old, and she said that during take off she made sure that he at least had a bottle or something to chew on. Don't know if that will help with anything, but it's just a tip.
Love Rikki

Bella's Mommy said...

All I can say is "WOW"!!! about the room. I looked at the picture and knew you weren't staying at the White Swan hotel. The room is awesome! It looks a lot like our room in Nanning.

And soon our little Malia will be a US citizen!

Bella says "hello" and that she will share her puffs with her new friend Malia when she gets home.

Have fun in guangzhou. Shop, shop, shop!!

Maryann and Bella

pootiepie said...

Okay, now I'm sitting here crying tears as I see Malia leave the place of her birth! I cannot believe Lexi will be doing the same just in a couple of months. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us.
(((hugs))) Susan