Friday, November 7, 2008

OUR LAST DAY IN NANCHANG, JIANGXI, CHINA

We've had a wonderful stay here in Nanchang, Jiangxi Province. How could it not have been ... it's the city in which we first met our precious daughter, our Malia. We've seen and experienced so much of this area and are truly blessed to have done so because, in some ways, it makes us feel closer to Malia. What a treasure to see where she's come from and experience life in her birth province.


The people here have been so friendly and helpful. We'd like to thank our local guides, Mary and Sally, for making our stay here so amazing and for teaching us about this special place ... Malia's birthplace. Our guides have been willing to answer questions and are very knowledgeable about Nanchang and Jiangxi Province. Their willingness to share and offer information has made our experience much more meaningful.

Here are a few pictures of our current "home," the Gloria Grand Hotel ... but only for a few more hours. Here is one side of the lobby.


And here's the other side, which leads to the dining entrance.


Here's the main dish area of the restaurant. We ate here each morning at their breakfast buffet and on two evenings. We've had the chance to try some very interesting dishes, like braised octopus and braised frog. The choices were interesting to say the least, but there were things we liked and could eat to our full.


And here is the elevator area on the twelfth floor. We visited here a lot.


There wasn't a lot that happened today. We slept in, went to breakfast and then headed to Pedestrian Road. However, half of us turned back due to wind and rain. Rick, Spencer and Cindy went on to find some more luggage, while Malia, my Mom and I went back to the hotel to play and take a nap. Here's a sweet picture of Spencer and Malia from today.


This afternoon I headed downstairs to do more adoption paperwork. We had to prepare our document envelope for the US Consulate in Guangzhou. I will be SO glad when all the adoption paperwork is complete - which will be a year after Malia is home with us.


We got Malia's passport, which we'll need for our flight tomorrow.

After the paperwork was done, our group gathered to celebrate three birthdays occurring in our travel group ... one of which was the first birthday of one of the girls adopted. Our guides arranged getting a HUGE birthday cake that had all of the girls' names around the outer edge of the cake and the three celebrating birthdays in the center. There was an awesome birthday candle lit as we sang "Happy Birthday" - we've vowed to find these candles in Guangzhou. They are so incredibly cool!

And now with much of our packing done and Malia asleep in her crib, it is time to say goodnight from Nanchang.




PS: Malia wants you to know she's ready for her first plane ride, which will take us to Guangzhou, Guangdong Province to make her adoption final in the eyes of the United States of America! Do you like our new suitcase?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Coopers
Good morning or should I say good afternoon. I have to say the picture of Malia and Spencer brought tears to my eyes. I like the new piec of luggage and the cargo is priceless! I hope you have a nice flight!

GmaDebbie said...

I'm crying, too! Malia must be liking her new Bubby! That is SO sweet. I'm praying you have a good flight and that Malia does well.

Now, on to another adventure! Can't wait to see what's next.

the drakes said...

Zip that cutie up and bring her home! It is so great to see her happy with you all!!!! Tears, here, too!!!

Brad, Carmen, Braylen and Alea Fleck said...

The suitcase is ok, the cargo is PRECIOUS!!!! We will pray for sweet dreams tonight and safe travels tomorrow!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of Spencer and Malia. I hope they have the kind of bond that our girls have.

Brad

LaLa said...

Wishing you safe travels to GZ! Guess you'll have to buy another suitcase there as well : )

It is amazing isn't it..how you come to love a country so much. I find that I love China with all my heart every time I look at my beautiful daughter. You will find yourself being so protective too when people (who really don't know ) say negative things about China. You will quickly defend the people and point out that they are not the government.

Love that pic of her with her head on Spencer's lap : )

Winter said...

I second Shelby's comment I'm so ready to see that precious cargo in person!! Have a good flight can't wait to see more of the adventure!

Sarah said...

heehee! Love the little item that you have packed in your suitcase. :)