Wednesday, November 5, 2008

TRAVELING TIPS FOR TONYA ...

... AND ANYONE ELSE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED.

Hi! Yes, a post just for you, waiting Momma! I'm sure there will be several more things to share, but I'm faster at typing than writing, so here's a start...

1) Both hotels so far have had hair dryers.

2) We've not really needed the adapter. The plugs are able to accept our cords. You have to jiggle the prongs a little when you push, but they go in. In the bathroom, the blow dryer wall unit has outlets in them, but they say "for shavers" (this is true of both hotels). I'm wondering if people plug their curling irons, etc. into these which causes the blowouts. But because we've had to use other outlets ...

3) Bring an extension cord! We've used ours every day.

4) We brought tights for Malia to wear each day. We've not had a bit of problem with the "clothing police," unlike other families in our group. We got all smiles (or curious stares) on Pedestrian Road, but several other families have talked about being scolded big time since ankles/legs were showing bare skin. This may not apply to you if you're traveling this summer, though.

5) The hotels have had plenty of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, toothbrushes/toothpaste, etc. If you're not too persnickety (unlike me), you could save some room in your suitcases.

6) I think having your sister with you on the trip will be a great thing for Isaac. Spencer likes going down the hall to visit with his Grandmas, which has given us some cherished alone time with Malia. I've been concerned a few times when he's been hanging around with us in the room and Rick and I are both giving our attention to Malia. I've tried being conscientious to give him one-on-one attention.

7) FYI: Not sure if this will even apply to you guys, but we were instructed to have a gift to leave at the police station for the policeman who helped our child (although in reality it doesn't even apply to Malia). I was unprepared for this one and had to improvise.

8) Our hotel here in Nanchang has a stroller for us to use. Not sure what we'll have available to us in Guangzhou. But honestly, Rick and I take turns carrying Malia in our baby carrier. It's just too fun being close to her!

9) Be sure that when you exchange dollars into yuan that you ask for small denominations or they'll just give you big bills which are sometimes hard to get change for.

10) We've loved having our backpack for a diaper bag and catch-all for outings.

11) I don't know if the anti-jet lag pills worked or not, but so far I've not had any problems adjusting to the time change. I've heard many others talking about how tired they are. We'll probably have some left over since we haven't used them consistently, but I can also tell you where we got them if you want your own. They were only $10.00 a box (you'll each need one).

Okay that's all I can think of for now. If you have any questions, just let me know. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. I so cannot wait for you to experience this! It is so amazing!

And before I sign off ... what is going on with this referral batch?! The last batch came the end of September! What's with the holdout? I've read that packages are in the air. Hoping they are in fact referrals - and that it's a really big batch!!

Big hugs to you!!! So glad our posts are a bright spot as you continue waiting for Chloe!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How kind of you to give these tips for future travelers. I, too, cannot wait to follow along with Brian and Tonya as they finally get to experience their journey to Chloe. It will be even more fun seeing your 2 daughters together and hopefully becoming the best of friends. Keeping you in my prayers, Tonya, that it will be a big batch of referrals this month!

SARA said...

Rumor has it referrals will be here this week and probably through the 20th.

Bella's Mommy said...

My tip for Tonya that saved me a lot of headaches was having a small Rubbermaid-type tub to wash bottles and nipples in each day.

I also bought pre-moistened dish clothes so I didn't have to bring dish soap. Just washed the dishes and threw away. Saved a lot of room in my bags!

Also, another couple in our group did a really smart thing. They wore older clothes during the trip that could easily be thrown away when done wearing. They did this and had plenty of room at the end of the trip for everything they brought home! We packed way too much!

Love the pictures of Malia, Jen.

Keep them coming!!

Maryann

Brad, Carmen, Braylen and Alea Fleck said...

Maryann, I think we ALL pack WAY too much!!! When we went to Kazakhstan for Braylen we were going to be in country for 6 1/2 weeks and my mom went too. We packed 9 bags between us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY WAY WAY too much!! We were told there was no toilet paper, so we took that. We took bottled water, lots of donations, etc... but way too much! We did better in Taiwan, but still TOO much!! It's funny to hear everyone's story of the luggage :)

Jean said...

Congratulations on your daughter. She looks like she is settling right in with her new family.

As far as a stroller in GZ: You can use them for free from many of the shops on the island for the duration of your stay. We borrowed a stroller from the shop right outside The White Swan. We had the same shop do our laundry for us and they were the ones who made our CHOP and the kids portraits.

Thanks for sharing your blog.

Jean
mom to Lilymei, adopted from IM 7/28/08

pootiepie said...

Jen,
Thanks for the travel tips!!! Referrals arrived yesterday for the 16th and the 17th! Lexi is a Jinagxi baby as well so we'll be picking your brain upon your return home. Enjoy every moment!!!
(((hugs))) Susan