Saturday, November 1, 2008

OUR AMAZING DAY

We've had a day packed with sights from historic China. It's been awesome!

We began at Tienanmen Square, which was packed with thousands upon thousands of people. It was here that we experienced the art of pushing your way through a crowd. It was interesting to watch the Chinese people do this, and it appears that there really is an art to it. I say, bring on the Christmas shopping crowds!


We also got our group picture taken here. Then it was a quick trip across the road to the Forbidden City (or the Not-So-Forbidden City, according to Rick). This place is so huge it's beyond comprehension. The buildings are incredibly ornate and there are so many of them! It's hard to fully realize that we were walking on grounds that were once forbidden to the world. What a privilage to be there.



Then it was on to a restaurant for lunch of authentic Chinese cuisine, including the infamous Peking Duck. It was wonderful food! And, with our tummies full we headed to the Great Wall. And let me just say that the "Great" in Great Wall doesn't do it justice. And, unfortunately neither do pictures. In the words of my Mom, "Wow! I don't know what to say, but Wow!" It truly is magnificent.






Dad, this picture is for you. I know how you love to take unique and silly pictures.


And, I would like to give a BIG thumbs up to my husband who hiked to the sixth tower, which is as far as you can go in the area we were in. He's such a stud! Way to go, Babe!

We all hiked our way to the second tower, with Spencer going a little further to the third tower.

Okay, I just have to share a little sidenote about the driving in Beijing. I do believe that the little white lines that create lanes are mere suggestions to Chinese drivers. In fact, if you'd like to make your own lane, say the fourth or fifth in a three lane highway, you go right ahead. Many horns are heard as drivers warn people to get out of the way or get run over. And, I do declare that anyone who rides a bike or moped on the highways should receive medals of bravery.


NOW TO THE MOST IMPORTANT INFORMATION ...

We are to meet in the lobby by 5:15 am to head to the airport for our flight to Nanchang. We will meet our babies at the hotel at 3:00 pm China time. Which means, we have less than 24 hours before we meet Malia!!!! Our next post should be of our long awaited Gotcha Day!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so confused by the time change/time zone thing, but whatever day or time, we are so excited to read about and see pictures of 'Gotcha Day'! So, while your days are jammed packed with joy and love, take a minute or two to discuss when you'll be coming to Indy to visit!
Love you Sister R,
Sister B

...carrie... said...

Less than 24 hours! OH MY GOODNESS! Crying a little again... A VERY good cry. :)

Brad, Carmen, Braylen and Alea Fleck said...

Great pictures!!! Yes, I forgot tell you about the driving!!! We experienced that in both Kazakhstan and Taiwan. It is that way in Brazil, too, so we think that USA may be the only sane place to drive. Kaz. was the WORST by far!!!!

I'll be up early in the a.m. to see proof of Gotch Day!!! Love you :)

Jen said...

Jen here from RQ, LID 2-20-06...

How exciting! It looks like you guys are having an amazing time. I can't wait for you to have your little girl in your arms. Thanks for sharing your blog. Praying for your safe journey!

Winter said...

The pictures are so AMAZING!! I have been checking your blog multiple times during the day to be sure I don't miss anything!! I hope to see incredible words written tomorrow before church!!! GOTTCHA!!

Nicole said...

Hey guys! We miss you so much but are so excited by all the news we are reading and the pictures you are sharing. I was sitting and talking with Rodney about how amazing of a journey this truly is and I am so happy for you guys to experience it. Thank you Jen for the laugh from the comments on the driving thing. I so look forward to hopefully reading and seeing GOTCHA tomorrow. I will keep Malia and the transition for her in my prayers! We love you guys!

Susan said...

It looks like you're having a fantastic time! I'll be checking your blog and hoping Gotcha day goes smoothly!!!

susan aka ladeeesquire from RQ

Anonymous said...

Anxiously awaiting "gotcha" news and praying for everything to go well for you all. Michael and I ate at our favorite Chinese restaurant tonight in honor of you guys!

My life....Ruled by BOYS!! said...

Yeah, you're almost there!!!! What neat pictures!! Can't wait to see pictures of GOTCHA DAY!!!!

Anonymous said...

OH MY.... You all look wonderful and so excited ; ) Gotcha Day sounds wonderful and so close....Love Yas!!!
trish ; )
ps
I love the photo of your heads sticking out of the wall...
GREAT STUFF!!!!!
Kiss that sweet Malia for me;)

Anonymous said...

I'm so lovin' the pictures and seeing all the smiles!! Just 5 more hours till you have Malia in your arms.....it's finally here!!

Can't get my mind off of you guys...tell us what the weather is like. If it's anything like here...it's got to be beautiful!!

So anxious to see Malia in your next pictures....Have fun and be safe.

PS....Rick, when Jennifer becomes the celebrity with her blond hair and carrying an asian child, snap a picture of the people who are taking pictures of her if you can, please!