I don't think she's liking our formula or our bottles, but we're making do. She drinks water when she gets thirsty. And, let me just say our skinny-minny is quite an eater despite her pettite size. She loves mashed up table food and adorably shakes her head "no" if she's not ready for another bite. In fact, we are learning that she is a girl who knows what she wants and definitely knows what she doesn't want ... if you know what I mean.
Now, before I get into details about our day, I wanted to post a view from our hotel room. We've learned that Jiangxi Province is a very poor province and this is very evident from this picture ...
We drove around some this afternoon for appointments and got to see some of the side streets of Nanchang. It was quite an eye-opener. But there is a square downtown that is very nice and full of history. There are also palm trees in this area (that seem out of place in this foreigner's opinion).
Okay, back to Malia. She is a very good sleeper, like I mentioned above, but she's also taken heavy naps today. This is how she spent all of her morning nap ...
Yep, she "watched" the Colts game on the internet with her Daddy. And yes, she is a Daddy's girl. It's so sweet to watch them together. And, Carmen, I have to share that your comment in our Gotcha Day post really touched him to the core.
On to our appointments ... We first made a stop at the Notary's Office where we were asked our ages and occupations, as well as "are you pleased with your child," to which we quickly replied "yes!" It was at this office that we were given Malia's official Certificate of Adoption, which means in the eyes of China she is legally our daughter. Woohooo!!! (My Mom has a great picture of us holding our certificates, but she doesn't have her cable to download pictures into the computer. Sorry!)
We then headed to the police station to apply for her passport and get her photo taken. Quick, simple and easy. And it was here that we were gathering on the sidewalk to wait for the last couple of families to finish up when some locals began to stop and stare and try to talk with us. Of course I'm sure we were making a sight - caucasian adults holding Asian babies coming out of a police station? Not an every day scene in downtown Nanchang.
And then we got stared at some more as we shopped at the local Walmart store that occupied the second and third floor of a building. The third floor had everything but groceries, which were located on the second floor along with the check-out registers. How do you get your cart from the third floor to the second floor and vice versa? Well, by a flat escalator, that's how!
Notice the areas on the sides and down the middle lined with merchandise to buy. You know, just in case something catches your eye on the ride down (or up). And, on a side note, you should have seen the people pointing at our cart and jabbering away in Chinese. Why? Because Rick had us get 13 bottles of Coke, that's why! But to make this a sweet trip, an elderly employee stopped to smile at Malia while we were waiting to check out, and gave her a big thumbs up.
I have to share that we have one LARGE group of families in our travel group, so we make quite a scene when we go out. You know when you visit a historical place in the US and you see all sorts of native people on tours going around taking pictures of everything? Well, that's our group here in China! It's really quite comical.
Our outing today began at 2:00 pm and ended around 5:30 pm, but it seemed like an all day event. Malia was a trooper through it all, especially since she was tired most of the time - even napping through part of it. She gets whiny or discontent a lot, but is easily entertained by us giving her a new toy or Cheerios to munch on. She LOVES peek-a-boo, which makes her giggle and smile. And one other tid-bit about Malia that makes us laugh ... she loves to rock herself back and forth. She really has fun with this.
Tonight she had her first bath with us. This was quite an event. She HATED it! The hotel has a little baby bathtub in the room, which we used. We had quite a time getting her to sit down in it. She cried and screamed, but was sporadically distracted by some floating bubbles from the soap. At least she's a CLEAN crying and screaming baby.
And she's now sleeping quite contently in my bed. Both the guys are sleeping as well. And, it's not even 8:00 pm here in China ...
Tomorrow is a free day and we'll get to do some exploring with our guides Elsie and Chloe, who are wonderful and very helpful. I'm really looking forward to having the chance to snap photos of this area. Unfortunately, our request for an orphanage visit was declined. So getting as many pictures of the province's capital will have to do.




13 comments:
Malia is so adorable! I just can't stop looking at you all together!! It is beautiful :) Braylen HATED baths as well. It took us a long time to have a happy bath time. In Kaz. they pour water over them and basically traumatize them for a bath! We started using the kitchen sink when we got home and it was much better for some reason. We than went to a baby tub and finally to the big tub. It was a long process, though!!
Have fun on your free day :)
She is so cute, congrats on the "official" aspect....although in your hearts she was yours from day 1!! You just needed the legality taken care of :-) I check all the time for updates and new pics, I'm enjoying sharing your journey with you, thank you for sharing it!!!
Jennifer,
What a beautiful little angel you have, you all look so happy cant wait till your home safe, it looks as if she is adapting very well, My prayers are with you love to all the family .
Nancy
THANK YOU for sharing She is sooooo sweet I love all the pics and can't wait to see even more after you are home!! Enjoy your sightseeing!! Love you guys!!
Sweetness!! As you may remember Annslee was a daddy's girl too (wouldn't let me hold her at all the first week) Just let her take the lead...oh, our baths weren't fun either at first...finally I got in with her...helped us bond too (no pics of course LOL) We finally just switched back to the Chinese bottles until we got home and didn't change formula until home either. A lived on tater tots anyway : ) (sorry about the orphanage visit...maybe on a homeland tour later)
So happy things are going well and you are truly enjoying your time!!! Take lots of pics!
The Cooper's
We are at work looking over all of the awesome photos. Thank you for doing such a good job keeping up. I can't wait to hear the rest of all your stories. The Rumor Queen Say's a possible cut off date of the 22nd. This is just at the R-2.
Nothing has been said about referrals. Keep posting!
She's so adorable! Thank you for sharing with us over here. I think I'd be nuts if you didn't!
Oh my goodness, Jennifer!!! I know you guys are just over the moon. I am so happy that Malia is officially part of her forever family now. Congratulations!!!
Susan
Okay - work was difficult today - not knowing if you'd posted again!
Can you just come home already? You look like a great big happy family! How are the Grandmas holding up? I understand the pop issue Ricky. Just can't say we've been through it in China before. I am so happy for you and your miracle baby!
We'll keep watching!
Jimmy and Hazel
Hey,
How's it goin. I miss you so much. I hope you get home safely.
Love,
Evan
Oh you all look so wonderful!
Beautiful photos!
Love yas!
trish ; )
Rick,
Don't you think that your first game as father and daughter shold've been a Steelers game?? But, I guess the Colts will have to do. LOL!!!! Why does it matter who was playing though, you got to watch it with your daughter.
Love,
Rikki
CONGRATULATIONS!!! She is just soooo cute! What a wonderful addition to your family! Enjoy the rest of your trip exploring and taking photos of her birth country ... we'll be checking frequently for more news of how things are going.
Post a Comment