Friday, January 8, 2010

SPOILED LUNCHES

Today on Sesame*Street, Cookie Monster wanted cookies to grow on trees. How silly is that ... Cookies growing on trees? In fact, cookies don't grow at all, they are baked in an oven. So, as Malia and I talked about this (okay, I talked to Malia about this, she didn't really converse with me on the issue) I decided it would be good for us to bake some cookies. It was time to turn on a CD and get all messy in the kitchen as we shared a Mommy-Daugther moment.



So I put in the newest Steven*Curtis*Chapman CD that I got for Christmas and Malia and I set out to make some chocolate chip cookies. Malia had fun dumping ingredients into the bowl and helping stir with her own spoon. Her favorite part, that I could tell, was testing the chocolate chips to see if they were good enough for our cookies. They were. In fact, Malia cheerfully yelled, "chocolate!" (Let me just share that the word "chocolate" is well said by Malia - she LOVES chocolate - and candy in general). She gave a big chocolatey grin to show her approval. In fact, she tested SEVERAL chocolate chips as I attempted to stir them into the batter.

We were both excited to taste test our first batch of Mommy-Daughter chocolate chip cookies. Unfortunately for lunchtime, this first batch came out of the oven close to noon. But I'm sure you would agree that it was very important for us to each eat our own cookie to have ample mouthfuls to taste the quality of this batch.

Malia's first taste ...


Her expression leads me to believe it's a good tastin' cookie ...


But, then again, one bite doesn't necessarily give a good indication, right?


Better take another bite ...


Yep! It was yummy!

And this is what she did with her lunch shortly after our cookie testing ...



She stacked her apple slices on top of her PB&J sandwhich. Oh well! This special moment was more than worth spoiling our lunches. What a blessing to experience this precious time with my daughter. Nourishing a relationship is just as important as nourishing our bodies. (And, she did actually eat one of the apple slices and a few bites of my chicken).

Hopefully we'll have many more spoiled lunches as we are blessed with this special time in life to be home together.

"Taste and see that the LORD is good." Psalm 34:8

1 comment:

Cindy said...

One of the lines in 'Hope Floats' is "My Cup runneth over". That certainly discribes my heart when I read post like this one. How precious.