Wednesday, January 13, 2010

HELPING HANDS

Malia is an incredible helper! Give her a task to do and she's a happy camper. In fact, when she's grumpy the usual fix is to give her a job to do (unfortunately, this is not always the fix). The other day she was getting antsy as I was fixing dinner, so I gave her one plate at a time and had her set the table. I'd tell her, "This plate goes to Daddy's seat" and off she'd go with the plate and put it on the table at her Daddy's seat. She got the whole table set for dinner! She loves to help put wet clothes into the dryer and take dry clothes out to be folded or carry clothes on hangers to bedroom closets. I usually feel like I'm walking on egg shells when I vacuum because she's typcially right behind me (a little too close) holding the cord.

This is not something I've taught her to do, it's just her personality. The girl loves to help. The other night, Rick was crushing aluminum cans and Malia was trying to climb all over him and the chair he was sitting in. Once he showed her how she could help him ...


... she was a focused little girl digging through the bag, choosing a can and handing it to him.


On Thanksgiving day, she helped put peeled potatoes ...


... into the kitchen sink to be washed.


What great fun it is watching her grow and develop into the special person God has created her to be. There is still so much to discover about her personality and character, and I'll be watching with delight and awe as they surface over the years.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

She is just too cute. And how fortunate you are to be able to stay home and enjoy her. They grow up way too fast and into other peoples care. What an opportunity you have to give her love and show her about God's love
Hugs and kisses

Brad, Carmen, Braylen and Alea Fleck said...

That's awesome! I have noticed with Alea that a good way to distract her from temper tantrums is to give her jobs as well. I need to do a better job of allowing her to help! Thanks for the post--it encouraged me to look for ways to involve her more!!

Rina said...

so in love with your daughter...truly a blessing for all involved...

Anonymous said...

WOW, helping set the table at 2 years. What a girl! She is truly a joy and a blessing. I think she has daddy wrapped around her little finger, well, maybe mom and Spence too.
Love to all,
Mom R