Tuesday, November 18, 2008

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!

Our journey home from China was ... interesting. It started rough as one stretch of my Mom's plane ticket was on standby, which meant the possibility of no seat on the most lengthy stretch of our trip. This happened AFTER Rick called to confirm all six of our tickets two days prior. What was confusing is that her ticket was confirmed from Guangzhou to Seoul, but on standby for the Seoul to Chicago portion.

Than, to add to the stress, the other five confirmed tickets from Seoul to Chicago were all spread out, which put Malia and Spencer both sitting by themselves. Ummmm, hello??!! We were told that we needed to talk with the airline reps once we reached Seoul to work things out.

Fortunately - or should I say by answered prayer - the issue with my Mom was resolved as we boarded the plane in Gaungzhou when she was given a boarding pass (confirmed seat) for the flight from Seoul to Chicago. Hallelujah! It seems the airline might have realized their mistake and corrected it rather quickly.

Once we were in Seoul, the first people at the gate were not helpful in resolving the matter of having an eleven month old sitting by herself. They said we needed to talk with the flight attendants when we boarded the plane because the flight was full. Shortly before boarding a new woman arrived at the counter and Rick talked with her about the issue. She was very helpful and was able to work it all out for the good. Malia was able to be with Rick and myself and Spencer was able to sit with my Mom.

None of us felt the best for the flight home. Spencer and Cindy especially felt sick. Sleep was minimal, except for Malia who was able to get a lot of rest on the 11 hour flight from Seoul to Chicago, and also a brief nap on the short half hour flight from Chicago to Fort Wayne.

We had a wonderful crowd meet us at the Fort Wayne airport, despite the 11 pm arrival. It was very moving and had I not been so tired I would have cried outright. Rick and I both fought back tears, though. Thank you all for the very warm and loving welcome home!!! It was emotional just to be home, but to be welcomed by dear family and friends made it the best homecoming! We loved having the chance to introduce Malia to everyone there, especially her Grandpas and one of her Uncle Kyle's.

She did really well with the crowd of people. The only time she cried was when I took the cracker away from her after she'd dropped it on the floor and threw it away. Mean Mommy!

Malia HATED her carseat, which we anticipated. China does not require carseats of any kind and you should have seen this girl romp around in the taxis! Needless to say, she is not the type to tolerate being restrained. She screamed and cried for a good 15-20 minutes, but was able to calm herself and play peekaboo - which was the cutest thing since she was the one raising and lowering the blanket. Let me just say she is a little teaser!

As we approached our home, we were welcomed with the warm glow of luminaries lining our front walkway. It was absolutely beautiful!!!

Inside we were welcomed by pink balloons and streamers and the infamous "Welcome Home Malia" sign!



We especially liked Spencer's room. Nice decorating Isaac and Luke!!!

We also enjoyed some chocolate chunk cookies. I was going to share one with Malia, but she wanted nothing to do with sharing. She ate a whole one by herself. (A girl after my own chocolate chip cookie lovin' heart!)

Malia was introduced to Kitty. At first she looked upon him with bewilderment, but since that initial meeting she tends to squeal with delight and squeeze his fur with her hands. Kitty has been much more tolerant with her than I'd ever imagined. Most likely because if he wants lovin' from us, Malia is right there with us.

Our first night home has been the best by far. Malia, Spencer and I fell asleep around 3 am. Malia roused about around five, took a bottle around six and slept until eleven. She was then up all afternoon since we had a mini family reunion all afternoon, and a couple youth group kids/friends that evening. She's done really well being around lots of people she doesn't know. She seemed to especially have fun interacting with her new cousins! Unforunately, she has been up a lot the past two nights. And let me add that not only are we all dealing with a reversed sleeping pattern, but also a reversed eating pattern!

I tried to cut her naps short today, so I'm hoping she's good and tired and ready for a full night's sleep! Rick and Spencer were back at work and school today. Both were tired, so I'm hoping they, too, will get a good night's rest. And me, well my body seems to be accustomed to dozing rather than sleeping. It will change soon, I'm sure.

We've learned that Malia does not eat baby food. She'd much rather be eating from the table with the rest of us. I think we'll be having spaghetti tomorrow! She's also started taking steps on her own - the little rascal! It's so fun to watch her weeble and wobble, but be able to take those couple of steps.

Rick and I also heard her laugh - a real laugh - for the first time last night. We purchased one of those booster seats for the dining room table and the cat was playing in the box. Oh, how I wish we would have thought to grab the video camera!

All in all, we're doing well. Still adjusting to home, but tolerating each other well despite our lack of sleep. Thank you all for your prayers, which have and will continue to sustain us during this time! Words truly cannot express what they've meant to us. Thank you also to everyone who left comments in our posts and guestbook or sent emails. We want you to know how much we enjoyed reading each and every one, and how they truly enriched our journey to and from China.

Sorry I've been lax at posting since we arrived home. I was not looking forward to dial-up speed after the high speed connection we had while in China. And, being tired kept me from even turning on the computer until this evening.

I'll be taking lots of pictures of our newest addition - and some old familiar faces - and plan to continue updating our blog for those interested in keeping up on our journey WITH Malia. God bless!

10 comments:

My life....Ruled by BOYS!! said...

Of course we'll still be interested in the goings on of the Mahan household!!! So glad you are back safe and sound!!!

LaLa said...

Welcome Home!!! So happy the plane worked out and you are home safely. The jet lag is a killer...just take your time!!

Cindy said...

I think you covered all the happenings.
There IS NO place like home.
Thank the Lord for all He has done for all of us. And especially that ticket from Seol to Chicago !!!!!!!!
Grandma and Grandpa will be over soon..hehehe
Mama Mia

Brad, Carmen, Braylen and Alea Fleck said...

Yes, the jet lag is the worst! It didn't seem to affect the girls nearly as much as us!! They did want to take LONG naps, so I would cut them short and that helped at night time. I also took an afternoon nap with them and the first week and that helped as well. The best thing for me was to go on a walk everyday and that seemed to help me get over it a bit faster. Brad was over it in a day or so, me it lasted a couple weeks. You'll find your groove soon enough, I am sure!!

Something that helped my girls sleep through the night after the first couple days when I felt they should be getting on schedule (PLEASE...get on schedule!!!) was I fed them cereal before bed. Braylen was eating table food when we brought her home at 11 months, but I still gave her baby cereal with fruit and then switched to oatmeal. This seemed to help. Just some ideas that worked for us!

In a few weeks when you and Hendersons are all adjusted, we are going to all get together again!!! We need to get these babies playing together :)

...carrie... said...

So glad to hear you're settling in with your precious little girl! She's adorable and I can't wait to hear/see all the updates. What a gift from God!

Anonymous said...

WELCOME HOME! Sorry to hear of all the trouble you had getting back ...but glad to hear that you are home again and starting to adjust to "normal" conditions. Thank you for letting us join your journey via this blog! It has given us a good picture of what to expect when we leave next week.

Anonymous said...

Seeing you walk through those doors with Malia in your arms was the most precious of sights!

Malia and her "squeaky shoes" were so adorable. Looking forward to seeing lots more of her.

Even though you all looked so tired, your bright smiles to be home was very evident. So very happy to have you back, safe and sound.

Welcome Home Mahan Family of 4...and you naughty, naughty Grammies! :)

Anonymous said...

So glad your all home safe and sound. Sounds like you really had some adventures in you travels. Love you all!

a little leprechaun said...

How are you guys doing?? Everyone ajusting well?? Just wanted to check in with you!

Liene said...

Welcome home. I'm sure it was quite the climate change from Guangzhou to N. Indiana. Saw yesterday that Michigan City got 10+ inches dumped with more to come. Brrrr....

Maybe you'll receive enough snow yourself to take Malia out for first photos!