Monday, November 10, 2008

MALIA'S MEDICAL - I THINK SHE PASSED!

Today was the medical exam for all the babies.




The exam is not extensive by any means. There are three stations and each takes about a minute. We began in the surgical station where Malia's head was measured, her lungs were listened to and then - the event that sent her into hysterics because she had to be sat down on a table and have her clothing removed - the doctor checked over her body. The doctor was very gentle, but you'd never have guessed. This child does not enjoy dressing or undressing. So, the screaming ensued throughout the remainder of the exam.


Here she is getting her temperature taken. At this station she also got her height and weight measured. The only piece of information offered to me - over her screaming - was that she weighed 17.5 pounds.


Then it was on to the final station to check her ears, nose and throat. Notice her thumb in her mouth and the other hand fidgeting with her hair.


I think we were the first family finished, so lucky us got more time to shop on Sheiman Island! The area is beautiful and has shops everywhere. If we'd had stayed at the White Swan or Victory Hotel, we'd be able to just walk out of the hotel lobbies and begin shopping. But the China Hotel is not on this little island, so when we go back we'll have to take taxis.

The atmosphere on Sheiman Island is just wonderful. There are beautiful trees and greenery, and many wedding couples can be seen getting their pictures taken. Our guide, Elsie, told us that Chinese people get their wedding pictures taken before or after their wedding day, not on their wedding day. It's no wonder this is a popular place for pictures. There are several statues in this area as well ...




Here is Spencer sporting his new shirt ...


Here's Mom enjoying the beauty of the island ...


And, here is Cindy guarding the extra suitcase we purchased to take home all our loot. Let me just say Rick bought a monster for $20.


Love the lanterns in the trees! Just beautiful!


We had our farewell supper tonight, even though most of us still have several more days here in Guangzhou. Some people will be leaving earlier, though. After being traumatized at the clinic and then being carried around in a carrier for a few hours, Miss Malia was in a slightly cranky mood. But, considering all this, she did a fantastic job today. Once we got to the restaurant we let her stretch her legs and walk around. She's really improving. Her balance is getting better. And sometimes she doesn't lean forward too much and is standing upright while she walks. Several times she has brushed off my left hand, only wanting me to help her with one hand. However, she leans and tends to go in circles when this happens. It's too funny. We're guessing, though, that it won't be long and she'll be taking off on her own. Already, my baby girl is growing up way too fast! Here she is walking down the hall at our hotel sporting her new hoodie ...


We've been waiting to find something with a hood!


Please keep Rick in your prayers, he hasn't been feeling well today.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My ears perked up when I heard of an earthquake on the radio this morning....and my heart sank when I heard it was in China.....God reasured me he was watching over you as it was in Western China and not the South where you are. Our prayers will not let up until you are safely home. We'll say some extra prayers for Rick too.

"Little Miss Independent" is what comes to mind when I see these pictures of Malia. I'm so glad she is healthy and was spared from all the adversity that was surrounding her first months of life.

Loved seeing the Grandma's finally holding Malia....I'm sure they were melting in their shoes. Did you have to draw staws to see which one would get the first honors??

Keep these beautiful pictures coming....love them all....You are spoiling us, you know!!

Brad, Carmen, Braylen and Alea Fleck said...

We are praying for you, Rick. It is not fun being sick overseas!

Hendersons get home today from Taiwan! They should be getting ready to land in Detroit, then it will be off to Ft. Wayne. We are going to the airport to meet Miss Avery!! Fun times :)

...carrie... said...

She is still adorable. (duh!) Thanks for the updates. I love them !

GmaDebbie said...

Rick, I hope you're better by the time you read this. I've been praying for your health and that you would have a good night's sleep.

Love the hoodie. Malia really is photogenic. It helps to have a Mommy who loves to take pictures.

Spencer, I love seeing your smiling face, too! Nice shirt! Is there a dragon on it somewhere?

It looks like your weather is a little better than last week. I hope you're all still having a good time. Be safe.

Marci said...

Hey, Jen... so very happy for you all. I will keep you in my prayers! Enjoy that beautful little girl! Love, Marci

Bella's Mommy said...

Your pictures brought back so many memories from China!

I am impressed you got pictures during the medical. Bella screamed so loud at the top of her lungs we just gave up on pictures!

Not much longer and you will be on your way home. Safe travels...Maryann and Bella

Brad, Carmen, Braylen and Alea Fleck said...

I didn't get my Malia fix this a.m.!!! That's ok, but I'll keep checking today just in case you post something :) I don't know what I'll do once you are home and too busy to post!!! I can't wait to meet her!! We went to the airport to meet Hendersons last night, oh my goodness Avery is sooo cute. It gave me the bug to do it again! Brad is shaking his head NO!!!! We'll see??????

Anonymous said...

It is so awsome that you are blogging daily and keeping us all informed. We get to feel like we are there with you! We can't wait until you are all home safe and sound! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

It is so awsome that you are blogging daily and keeping us all informed. We get to feel like we are there with you! We can't wait until you are all home safe and sound! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

ok, so I was impatient and hit that publish button twice! :)

Anonymous said...

We are all missing you today....but since I'm having so much trouble with our internet today, I'm guessing you were too....or maybe you just needed a break. Whatever the reason that we did not hear from you, is OK....but you really have spoiled us!

We will miss you at PC tonight also....our first night without you.

Hope Rick is feeling better. Take care....