Thursday, July 24, 2008

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT

"I need to practice packing."

I've received some strange looks because of this statement (including ones from my own husband). But it's true ... we need to practice. To think of being gone for up to three weeks and needing to pack light - well, those two statements are at opposite ends of the spectrum in my book. Whenever we go on a trip, whether it be long or short, I'm always reminded of the large quantity of "products" I use. Good grief!

The weight limits for luggage is dependent upon which airline you use. We've checked into this and found that they can range anywhere from 11 to 44 pounds. Eleven pounds? Are you kidding me? Not to mention the fact that many carry-on bags weigh several pounds by themselves, let alone the items you place inside.

Quite some time ago I was really wanting to travel over to China with only carry-on luggage. But then I started looking at packing list suggestions and that idea flew right out the window. However, airlines are now charging for checked luggage so I've had a renewed interest.

After doing some research, we've decided that backpacks will be the choice for Rick and Spencer's carry-on bags. They are very light-weight, plus their hands will be free. Today Rick decided to go ahead and purchase the backpacks we decided on. Why? Because he, too, is anxious to begin practicing his packing.

So, here he is sporting his packed bag. Here's what he's included:

1 pair of jeans
1 pair of sweats
2 pairs of shorts
5 pairs of undees
6 pairs of socks
6 shirts
1 sweatshirt
1 pair of shoes
3 packages of poptarts (his favorite snack)

Total Weight: 14 lbs (pretty good, huh?)

Okay, seriously, Honey ... you need to be careful or you're going to be knocking people off their feet if you turn around too close to anyone!

Malia, we are so excited to come get you!!!

2 comments:

Brad, Carmen, Braylen and Alea Fleck said...

Good for you!!!! When we went to Kazakhstan, I am embarrassed by this, but between me, Brad and my mom, we had 9 bags!!!!!!!! One large bag was donation things, but the rest was for us. We were there 6 1/2 weeks, but still.... We had been told there was no toilet paper and in some areas no bottled water, so one case was devoted to each. We had not problem finding these things!! We did better going to Taiwan, but still not great, between me, Brad, my mom and Braylen we had 3 suitcases and 2 backpacks.

Be sure to think about all the things you will bring home with you! We took an extra duffle bag on wheels inside a suitcase to check on the way home with souvineers!!!!

Cindy said...

Ok......now this is serious business. Remember....I have it all down to a single baggie.
I can see by Rick's list he is taking too many of certain things. Delete, delete, delete ! ! !
From my viewpoint-Rick can have a baggie too-Poptarts!
Hugs from your crazy mother-in-law
Mamma Mia