Thursday, October 8, 2009

ALL NATURAL PLAY CLAY DAY

I found a recipe in the F@mily Fun M@gazine for an all natural play clay. It called for flour, salt, water and natural coloring. There were four colors to make, but I only had the ingredients for one - the brown - which called for cocoa. The pink called for beet juice, the orange for paprika (which I didn't have enough of), and the yellow for tumeric.

I had Malia help me pour the ingredients into a bowl and had her help hold the spoon while we mixed the ingredients together. Then it was time to knead it all together and begin creating with it.



I thought it might be fun to make Malia's name with the clay, but couldn't help but notice that my pieces looked like ... well, feces (which made me laugh).




The above picture cracks me up because it looks as though Malia finds the clay a little suspicious. At least it didn't smell like poo. In fact, it smelled like chocolate!


After awhile I gave Malia a little knife we use for dips and cheese balls so she could cut the clay. She had a ball with this thing and kept saying, "I cut. I cut." And, no one had better dream of taking the knife away before she's finished using it!

This little project kept us busy for over an hour. So, if you're in the mood for some fun that could take up a chunk of time, you might consider making some all natural play clay.

2 comments:

the drakes said...

I saw that too and am hoping to fit it in soon! Looks like fun... maybe we'll try a color other than poo, though. :)

Brad, Carmen, Braylen and Alea Fleck said...

looks like fun! one time my mom and I found a recipe for chocolate cookies that look like pretzals. We thought it would be fun to make them. When we rolled the dough and shaped it, they looked like poo! Everyone was very leary to taste them :) LOL!!