January 26th marked the beginning of the new lunar calendar and the Year of the Ox. And, after weeks and weeks of trying to work around schedules of different families, we finally got together with some friends to celebrate adoption and, because of the timing, got to celebrate the Chinese New Year, too!
Crazy me decided to make an attempt at some authentic Chinese cuisine to take to the Chinese-themed party ... dumplings. Why I don't attempt these types of things ahead of time is beyond me. But instead, as is my typcial way, I made the dumplings the day of the party. It literally took me HOURS to make them. But I must admit, it was fun to try something new.

I also must admit I was a little disappointed in the outcome. A few too many onions for my liking! But they sure did taste "authentic"! However, we also decided to swing by our favorite Chinese restaurant for a mega order of sweet and sour chicken!
Here is Miss Malia all ready for her first Chinese New Year celebration. She was LOVIN' her squeaky shoes!

And, she actually left her hair bow in for more than two seconds!

Here is the first picture taken after arriving at the party.
Here's my interpretation of the above picture: "Hello!" "Hi, it's nice to meet you!" "Nice out fit, where did you get it?" "Love the hat!"

Here's Rick with two Asian beauties!

Spencer and Isaac posing for a photo op.
Malia and Avery playing. Poor Avery had to endure Malia trying to back into her, sit down and lean back on her. My daughter can be a brute!
We had fun playing pin the tail on the ox.


Then red envelopes were passed out to all the kids. This is a fun Chinese New Year tradition still practiced today.

Here are all the GREAT kids!

Our awesome host family ... Brad, Carmen, Braylen and Alea.

Dan, Megan and Avery.

Brian, Tonya and Isaac ... STILL waiting for Chloe!!! Their Log-In-Date is March 27, 2006. The CCAA has matched through March 2, 2006. They are SO close!!!

And then there's our whacky family.
Adoption has blessed our lives in so many ways. We never expected all the ways in which our lives and hearts would be touched. We are so very thankful that God led us to experience such a miracle!




3 comments:
I wondered about Chinese New Year's as you didn't mention anything this year. So glad Miss Malia had fun playing with some new friends. She should have Tonya's daughter Chloe to play with next New Year's also!
Happy Chinese New Year to all!
Love & hugs,
Mom & Dad R
I like your comments on the picture with the three little girls meeting one another! So fun :) And I 100 percent agree with your statement on the blessing of adoption! We talk all the time about being DONE, but in all honesty, if the resources were available, I'd do it all over again and again! That is how passionate I am about adoption!!!
What Asian Beauties they all are.....how precious to see them together! So anxious to see Chloe included someday!!
Your noodles looked good....just like I've seen them in pictures. I'm sure you'll get the taste mastered in due time.
It's wonderful you are keeping the heritage of your children. What fun you all looked to be having. May your bond together only grow stronger with each passing New Year! Love to all the families here.
Post a Comment