Welcome to the Year of the Rat! Although today is New Years in China, we'll be doing our celebrating tomorrow. We've invited family over for dinner and games tomorrow night. Red envelopes are ready to be handed out to our neices and nephews - each with a gold dollar coin. Chinese food and pizza are on the menu. Yeah, I know it's not the traditional Chinese New Year meal, but we have some very picky eaters in the family. A few weeks ago I ordered three books about Chinese New Year that are geared towards children. It's been so fun to read through them and learn more about this wonderful celebration. We are looking forward to sharing what we've learned with our family tomorrow night, and to making them an annual tradition in our home. We're just sad that Malia isn't here with us this year to celebrate!
Tonight I went back to read my New Year's post from last year and read the comments. I was so certain last year that Malia would be home to celebrate with us this year. Dare I say hopefully next year?
"CHINA'S KATRINA"
Now on to some more serious matters ... It's been hard to read about the needs of orpahanges in China as they battle the elements of the blizzard and severe cold weather. Some have compared the conditions there to Hurricane Katrina. Since we were just in Mississippi a month ago to help with the continued relief efforts for victims of Katrina, and seeing with our own eyes what kind of devestation still exists after two years, my heart is aching. My chin about hit the floor to learn that many orphanages are trying to get their hands on air conditioners to use as heaters ... I can't imagine how cold it would feel to need air conditioners to warm things up! Please continue to keep Malia, Chloe and all the little ones (and the elderly) in China in your prayers. And, if you can, please donate to help with relief efforts.
Unfortunately, I (along with many other waiting parents) believe that this natural disaster will most likely slow down the ability of orphanages to get adoption paperwork done for the babies. Rightfully so, their attention will be on surviving this experience. Related articles say that babies are sick and some, along with some nannies, are suffering from frostbite - among a long list of problems. Needless to say, their main focus probably won't be on paperwork. (Sigh) And just when I was finally feeling hopeful again ...




1 comment:
Have fun at your Chinese New Years Party. We were suppossed to go to a party in Bluffton with a couple families waiting to go to Taiwan, but we are not going to be able to make it this year--I forgot that we have Arthur tickets at Honeywell :(. Someone in this house will not let us forget them!! I'd love to see all your pictures and know what you are doing for the event. I would like to start those traditions here as well. I have even thought about when you get Malia and Coopers get Chloe home, we should all get together and do something each year!!
I am so sorry to hear about the Blizzards in China. Our ministry, His Heart Our Hands needs to do something. Is the link you have provided for support a Christian organization? Let me know on that :)
Post a Comment